Friday, March 23, 2012

Pow Wow 12'

Got the last minute invite to participate in Pow Wow 12 art collaboration in Kaka'ako. I tried my best to take advantage of the situation but time restraints kept me from finishing to my liking, but nevertheless it was an awesome experience. My spot, along with Dmize BS/EV, is on the diamond head wall of the Jaguar dealership right on Ala Moana Blvd. Most people took it as a way to showcase their art, I used it as a way to make a small political statement about Bishop Estate using hungry artists and small businesses to boost the property value of Kaka'ako for middle to high end retail and living spaces. I used the happy faced spider, an endemic species, to represent locals who smile in other locals faces and the webbing to represent the connections that it is making within our community. Within the web is dollar signs which is used to show the main purpose of making their connections is money.
















"If they knew, they would understand"
Mahalos to Pono and Kumu Kai for the translation. I just wanted to express my thoughts towards the revitalization of Kaka'ako. If the people knew there would be no place for them in Kaka'ako after the rail and "revitalization", then they would understand my painting.




Mahalos to Jasper Wong for not yelling at us

No comments:

Post a Comment